Some items on our site have recently moved. Visit our News Hub for selected articles, special reports, podcasts and other resources.
GDPR: One Year On Report
24 May 2019 00:00
The General Data Protection Regulation celebrates its first birthday on May 25.
How times have changed in the last decade. Data privacy is on everyone’s lips these days — even Facebook’s. And in the business world at least, any conversation about privacy turns sooner or later to the GDPR. A year after coming into force, however, the sweeping EU law is still clouded in uncertainty. As regulators prepare to ramp up their enforcement, which could mean multibillion-euro fines, businesses still don’t know what they need to do to comply.
This report aims to provide some clarity around:
- The complexity of obtaining consent to process data – the 50 million-euro fine against Google is likely to be the first of many cases centering on this vexed issue.
- The role of Ireland, which hosts many US tech giants’ EU headquarters. MLex interviewed Helen Dixon, the Irish watchdog, to get her side of the story.
- The impacts of the regulation on the financial-services companies who will find it both their innovation and core business affected
- The global implications and responses to the European law, from companies around the globe from California to Seoul.
- The new legislations arising from the GDPR, particularly the new law in California that could set the tone for the whole of America.
Listen to the podcast here: GDPR at one: Legal certainty still eludes EU privacy law
Download your free copy today.
23 November 2022 00:00Insights from the IAPP Europe Data Protection Congress 2022
14 February 2023 00:00MLex exclusive interview with Australia’s Antitrust Chief
08 March 2023 00:00This MLex special report examines how technology’s takeover of the car is posing complex questions for industry and regulators.
01 December 2022 00:00Japan's chief antitrust enforcer lays out his vision in an exclusive MLex interview.
11 April 2022 00:00MLex coverage of the antitrust world’s premier event, ABA Spring Meeting in Washington, DC.